Skip to main content

Saudade

I took a pause in life and realized. I have already lived the best part of my life. I could not believe at first that before hitting 30 years in life, the best was already over. Then saw some photos of the past and looked at all those glorious years pass me by. It all came rushing in after that – life indeed is a nine days’ wonder.

When did it all get over? When did it start? Was it I who changed? Or everything else around me? Could I have stopped it? These questions leave me baffled. It frustrates me that I, being the sole proprietor of my life, have no clue as to when I lost its most precious riches. The only thing I know now is that I am not getting it back. I was so busy in the daily, mundane, repetitive, boring race towards death that I never realized this ever happening.

I am writing this blog as a eulogy to that great time spent with so many friends. Friends who lived together, who traveled across India together, who partied every other day - got hung over every day, vowed never to drink again but still drank the same day. Friends who were so meant to be together that it would have been impossible for us not being friends. Times when drinks poured in stolen glasses, birthday’s meant getting whipped and a day spent home meant missing out. Times when drinks were cheap, coke was rationed, glasses were disposable but the memories indisposable. 

Living in London would have been a dream at some point of my life but it will never be the best part of it. Something is still missing. The by lanes of Jaisalmer and Goa felt more complete than this. There wasn’t much money but we had so much time. Next time I will have vacations for months at stretch would probable be when I retire now. That phase of life might be over but I am glad that for a while I could have that feeling of psychological utopia.

There are some things that you can only feel and you can never put in words. From this day till the day I die I will have thousand different feelings of love, anger, anxiety, despair, grief, happiness but none of them will be of that carefree exuberance when you are surrounded by 15 of your friends in the middle of a desert under the stars; intoxicated, high on life standing atop a dune and you come rolling down hoping to stand on your feet in one piece. Different people may feel differently on reading this blog but I am writing this specifically so that I can come and read this at different times of my life, remember those few years of my life and for a few moments feel how it felt in those moments.


Image result for saudade in a sentence

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He who knows how to be Poor knows Everything

In today's materialistic world, being poor is the worst thing that can happen to you. Being educated, being moralistic and being principled amount to almost nothing if you are poor. There are no opportunities to come out of that quagmire. Someone who has been through this and has somehow overcome the mountain of difficulties, would possess incredible amounts of determination, will and belief in his ability. Such talent is rare but often results in producing the greats. Being poor teaches you time management, how to make the most of your time to survive. It teaches you adaptability, how to adjust to the extremes of living conditions. It pushes you to extend your boundries and grow farther. It makes you emotionally and mentally strong. Someone who has been facing defeat after defeat but still gets up everytime to face adds so many facets to his personality. You learn only from your mistakes. If you have never faced defeat, it would be hard to survive. To relate to my own l

Belief in Virtue is more important than Virtue itself

Just pause for a second from your daily life. The life that you are so desperately trying to organise, to make worthy, to make grand. The future plans that you are putting together, the aspiration and the fantasies; put them aside and think about this- "We spend a lot of time trying to organize the world, we build clocks and calendars and we try to predict the weather but what part of our life is truly under our control. What if we choose to exist purely in our reality of our own making, does that render us insane. If that does, isn't that better than a life of despair?" Rationality and irrationality is purely subjective. Also what's better is only a matter of how deeply you apply your thoughts to it. If being happy and content is all that you want in life, then isn't living an insane life in a world of your own, the perfect thing for you. The problem with us is that we don't know what we actually want, and when we do, we hate to accept them and instead

India has the largest pool of talented manpower but very few innovations and patented products.

Ancient India was the hub of learning and innovation. India had scholars like Aryabhatta, Charak, Chanakya, and many others. But, with time, that zeal for innovation has faded away due to the constant lack of encouragement from the whole system. Ancient India gave zero to the world, invented chess, developed ayurveda but today not many discoveries take place in India. This lack of innovation is the result of the systemic failure of our society. From school to college to workplace, we are taught and tamed into following the set rules. We are taught to be followers and any attempt to think freely is viewed as dissent. Our society has closed itself to any criticism or corrective evolution. This was quite evident when we saw the introduction of Genetically Modified seeds in India. Every technology has its pros and cons, and we need to encourage the spirit of research and innovation to increase the pros and limit the cons but an outright opposition to anything new will be a hindrance