Skip to main content

Impact of Microsoft and My plan as an MSA

We have come a long way from the days when computers existed only in labs isolated from the outside world. Today we are talking about internet of things and ubiquitous computing with computers all around us from refrigerators to cars. One company which has been a part of our world throughout this fast paced transformation of technology has been Microsoft. It made computing simple. Computers existed for a long time but it became a part of our lives only with Windows. Technology without accessibility is of no use and Microsoft’s greatest contribution to this society has been making computing accessible to all.

My first interaction with a computer was in school. I vividly remember going to “Computer Lab” with our shoes off in long queues. It was the only place with an air conditioner on campus. The computer-lab day on the timetable was the most awaited day for the students. It was also our first introduction to Microsoft. We learned that the system in itself is just a box, it is this great company that makes it so fun and easy to use. It marked the start of my fascination with the company that later changed my world completely.

What changed my world was a personal computer. A box powered by Microsoft Windows allowed me to do things I had not imagined before. It brought the world to my fingertips. A massive amount of information at my disposal at all times. I could talk face to face with my family far away, play games that felt so real and create reports and presentations that were so much more attractive than books. The feeling was surreal. I had my first Microsoft device and my life had changed.

It has been over a decade since that day and Microsoft continues to have the same impact on my life. I now have a touch laptop and the Windows 8 running on it has taken the GUI to another level. Extremely easy to use it gives you immense power. Being a b-school student, MS-Office is almost a part of my life. Everything has to be put in a document or a PowerPoint and with Office 365 and OneDrive I can seamlessly move between devices and continue my work on my Windows mobile.

The journey has been long and the impact has been incredible. Microsoft has been changing our lives slowly and subtly at various levels and it continues to do so. It is hard to imagine our world today without Windows and Office. They are continuously working hard to make our lives better.

To be honest I feel dwarfed, in my endeavour to bring a change to the society, in front of such a huge agent of change. I shall still try to the best of my abilities to bring some change around me through this association with Microsoft as a Microsoft Student Associate. I have always felt technology is a great medium of change, especially in the education sector. India’s education desperately needs more technology, and internet can be a great empowerer. I tried to do my little bit in my previous organisation as part of its CSR committee. We taught a group of underprivileged children and it was amazing to see them use email and basic computing to bring change in their lives. In this new role I would like to expand the horizon for underprivileged children.

The latest technology like OneDrive and Windows for mobile and tablets has great potential. It can bring technology in the hands of people still untouched by it. I will like to act as an enabler spreading awareness about wonders this can do. Office 365 is another software that has such potential. Microsoft products are always extremely user friendly, so the challenge is not to learn how to use but to realise the power of products.


There is so much that one can write about the impact that Microsoft has had on society or the impact that you can create by an association with it. It is just a matter of opportunity. If I am the fortunate one I will make sure I make this count for me, for Microsoft and for the society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He who knows how to be Poor knows Everything

In today's materialistic world, being poor is the worst thing that can happen to you. Being educated, being moralistic and being principled amount to almost nothing if you are poor. There are no opportunities to come out of that quagmire. Someone who has been through this and has somehow overcome the mountain of difficulties, would possess incredible amounts of determination, will and belief in his ability. Such talent is rare but often results in producing the greats. Being poor teaches you time management, how to make the most of your time to survive. It teaches you adaptability, how to adjust to the extremes of living conditions. It pushes you to extend your boundries and grow farther. It makes you emotionally and mentally strong. Someone who has been facing defeat after defeat but still gets up everytime to face adds so many facets to his personality. You learn only from your mistakes. If you have never faced defeat, it would be hard to survive. To relate to my own l

Belief in Virtue is more important than Virtue itself

Just pause for a second from your daily life. The life that you are so desperately trying to organise, to make worthy, to make grand. The future plans that you are putting together, the aspiration and the fantasies; put them aside and think about this- "We spend a lot of time trying to organize the world, we build clocks and calendars and we try to predict the weather but what part of our life is truly under our control. What if we choose to exist purely in our reality of our own making, does that render us insane. If that does, isn't that better than a life of despair?" Rationality and irrationality is purely subjective. Also what's better is only a matter of how deeply you apply your thoughts to it. If being happy and content is all that you want in life, then isn't living an insane life in a world of your own, the perfect thing for you. The problem with us is that we don't know what we actually want, and when we do, we hate to accept them and instead

India has the largest pool of talented manpower but very few innovations and patented products.

Ancient India was the hub of learning and innovation. India had scholars like Aryabhatta, Charak, Chanakya, and many others. But, with time, that zeal for innovation has faded away due to the constant lack of encouragement from the whole system. Ancient India gave zero to the world, invented chess, developed ayurveda but today not many discoveries take place in India. This lack of innovation is the result of the systemic failure of our society. From school to college to workplace, we are taught and tamed into following the set rules. We are taught to be followers and any attempt to think freely is viewed as dissent. Our society has closed itself to any criticism or corrective evolution. This was quite evident when we saw the introduction of Genetically Modified seeds in India. Every technology has its pros and cons, and we need to encourage the spirit of research and innovation to increase the pros and limit the cons but an outright opposition to anything new will be a hindrance